[PLUG] 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Jan 18 06:15:27 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 07:41 PM, Matt McKenzie wrote:

> Running mixed speed RAM sticks won't hurt, it just means your higher rated
> RAM isn't performing up to its optimum capability.
> So, avoided in the case that you want to be running everything at its best,
> then yes.  Avoided to prevent permanent damage, not necessarily.
>
> You might check the docs for your specific motherboard to see the max
> amount of RAM it can use (and max speed rating), in many cases for desktop
> boards with 64bit CPU, it is 8GB or 16GB.  Server rated boards can get into
> some big numbers such as 128GB etc.

The specs say max capacity is 4 GB total memory.
Specs also say the machine "Supports DDR2 667, DDR2 533, or DDR2 400 MHz
DIMMs.

> In any case it would make sense to get rid of the older slower sticks and
> put in newer faster higher capacity sticks.

I'll probably watch for 1 GB, 533 sticks and get two of those. I
remember something about them wanting to be "matched" although I don't
know what that really means. Is it just that the pairs need to be a
match of size and speed? Or is there some other thing about them that
can be matched?

> Something to look for, if/when shopping for new RAM, there seems to be a
> good deal of savings when buying them in pairs, such as 2 x 1GB sticks, or
> 2 x 2GB sticks etc.
> At least I usually see this on places I shop such as Newegg.com.  I just
> bought a pair of 2GB sticks which will be going in to my wife's computer.

I've seen that, too. IIRC, yesterday (Wednesday) I looked on Amazon and
saw pairs of 1 GB sticks, as well as 2 GB sticks.

Thanks for the additional insights.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens