[PLUG] Older laptop, booting from DVD, then loading from USB flash drive- upgrading Mint

Chris Schafer xophere at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:51:01 UTC 2013

So you are able to get to a grub interface from the DVD?

So once there have you found the syntax to boot from the USB stick?

I would imagine you would need a CDROM that had whatever driver to
load the Kernel from the USB stick.  Once the Kernel on the USB boots
it would be just a matter of passing it the right boot options.
Basically the ones loaded into the USB boot sequence.

So where are you on this or are you waiting or someone to say this is
how it is done?

So if said "Super" GRUB CD could see the USB drive and the kernel on
the USB drive works with your box then all you need is the right
options to pass from GRUB to the kernel.