[PLUG] Creating a new launch item in Unity

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 04:16:54 UTC 2013

I am beginning to understand people's dislike of Unity.  I use the
term dislike to be generous.

I upgraded to ubuntu 12.04, and am trying to use Unity.  Please
refrain from the cat-calls and I-told-you-sos.  Humor me.  Try to
help.

I want to create a new launch item in the launcher, specifically
gnome-terminal -e virtualbox.

The "help" says drag the icon of the application to the launcher.  OK.
 Create an icon.

Using Dash, I enter in the search bar "terminal".  I get two application
hits: Xterm and Uxterm.  Neither of them are gnome-terminal which is
what is launched using the "terminal" icon in the launch bar.  And a
search in Dash for gnome-terminal yields nothing.  Yet top shows
gnome-terminal to be running when I use that icon, and "which
gnome-terminal" shows /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.  wtf.

Also, I can launch but one terminal from the launcher.  I need to use
the first terminal to launch another.

So I guess I need to find some non-gui way to put something in the launcher.

I know most here know better than to use Unity, but if some brave soul
has some knowledge which might help, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,
-Denis