[PLUG] LJ5 Envelope Printing

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 24 17:41:15 UTC 2013

   Not sure anyone here can help on this, but I'll ask with the hope that
someone can.

   I need to be able to print envelopes on my LJ5 from a file created by
LibreOffice-3.5.5.3. I created the envelope template in 2003 with whatever
version of OO.o was then available. It worked until OO.o was supplanted by
LO; hasn't worked since and it's time for me to resolve this issue.

   Part of the problem is most likely within LO and I've just subscribed to
that mail list to ask for help from them on why, when I try to print the
envelope directly to the printer, CUPS doesn't move the bits to the printer
because the rastorizer fails.

   Trying an alternate route I print to a .pdf file. When I try to print the
file using lpr, the printer gets all upset because the paper size is not
expected. I can print the file to an 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper, but not to
a commercial size 10 envelope. It's the latter that confuses the printer.

   Do I need to manually set the printer for the envelope? I assumed that the
paper size and orientation was sent to the printer with the document, but
since the image on a letter-size page is centered rather than on the left
(but it is in landscape mode) perhaps the paper sensor is missing the
envelope so it just feeds through with a nice curl to it.

   Any thoughts?