[PLUG] Failed Go-Flex hard drive

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Mon Jan 28 06:23:43 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:50:09 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a Seagate 3TB Go-Flex USB 3.0 hard drive that has apparently
> failed. It still spins up, the light comes on, but none of the GUI
> file managers on Fedora or Ubuntu can display the contents. They give
> me the error message "Failed to open directory 'Movies'. Error when
> getting information for /media/Movies/moviefilename."
>
> The contents are old movies that I continue to seed. I noticed the
> other day that Ktorrent was complaining about a couple of them missing
> pieces, and I started worrying then. But otherwise it continued to
> function until just now when I returned home after taking my computer
> to PSU. The Go-Flex is connected to a USB port on the laptop dock, so
> as soon as I place the computer in the dock it is recognized. I have
> to mount it before I start Ktorrent, and now after mounting it appears
> mounted, but I can't read the contents. This happens on both my laptop
> and my desktop, using various USB ports, and after wiggling
> connections.
>
> I opened Palimpsest, which reported the Smart information as "Disk has
> a few bad sectors." I unmounted it and ran "e2fsck -p /dev/sdb" which
> reported "Bad magic number in superblock while trying to
> open /dev/sdb: The superblock could not be read or does not describe
> a correct ext2 filesystem." (It is ext4.) The error message further
> suggested to run "e2fsck -b 8193 <device>." I have not tried this as
> I have no idea what this will do.

The -b option to e2fsck tells it to use an alternate superblock,
this one at location 8193.  When an ext2/3/4 filesystem is
created, is builds several spare superblocks, just in case one
goes bad.  This sounds like such a situation.  In fact, I would do

    # e2fsck -b 8193 -fpDC 0 /dev/sdb

The options tell it to: use the alternate super(b)lock at 8193;
(f)orce the filesystem check, just in case the system thinks the
filesystem is clean; "(p)reen" the filesystem (i.e., correct what
it can without manual intervention); check and index the
(D)irectories; and (C) display a progress bar to tell you how far
it's gone.  The -D option rarely needs to be done, but in this
case, I think it might be a good idea.

You should check out the man pages for e2fsck(8), mkext2(8), and
tune2fs(8).  You might find them a bit dense, but it's good
information to know.  If you have questions, well, you know where
to ask.  :-)

I like to run fsck on all my filesystems every once in a while.
Since my desktop system is up 24/7, it's run automatically
whenever the system is booted.  Given that I only reboot when the
kernel is replaced, or some other major change, it doesn't happen
very often.  I do the same with my laptop, mostly because I don't
trust the thing farther than I could dropkick my house.  My USB
drives are not added at bootup, since I take them from place to
place (especially my music drive).  So I check them manually, once
every week or so.  The command I use is

    # e2fsck -fpC 0 /dev/sdn

where "n" is the drive number.  Very seldom does anything go
wrong, but every once in a great while, something does, as you've
just found out.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Eye halve a spelling chequer           I ran this poem thru it
It came with my pea sea                I'm sure your pleased to no