[PLUG] Failed Go-Flex hard drive

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 07:55:09 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 22:33:33 -0800
King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> dijo:

>Sounds like your partition table got borked from a bad eject/umount.
>if thats it, you can repair it.  There might be a few bad files,
>though, since you tried to keep using the drive.  Also, you might have
>a bad enclosure.  If it happens again, then a warranty swap might be
>in order.

A bad umount is certainly a possibility.

>Easiest, if you have a backup of the data, is to reformat.  Since it
>is 3TB, I suggest setting up several partitions instead of just one
>big one.  Useful utilities (live distros also handy if your system
>wont boot):

I have no backup. But the only things on the drive are old movies. I
could re-download them, so I never bothered to worry about backups.
Still, it would be a pain in the neck to have to download them all over
again.

>http://partedmagic.com
>http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
>
>Both include numerous harddrive and other diagnostic tools, such as
>testdisk.  Testdisk is an excellent utility to recover partitions.
>
>Bad superblock issues pop up often.  Before you get too deep, you can
>try something simple.  You can try to load one of the back up
>superblocks, there are several backup.  Which one you use will depend
>on your block size (8193 the superblock location for 1K blocks).  Your
>3TB drive is no doubt formated with 4K blocks (4096 bytes).
>
>find superblock locations:
>|# dumpe2fs /dev/sda3 | grep superblock|
>
>find block size:
>|# dumpe2fs /dev/hda2 | grep 'Block size'|

That results in a command line that hangs with ">."

>http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/repair-a-broken-ext4-superblock-in-ubuntu/
>http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/surviving-a-linux-filesystem-failures.html

Will check these out tomorrow after a night's sleep. Thanks for the
suggestions. :)