[PLUG] Screwy Mouse Response

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Jul 4 16:59:33 UTC 2013

I'm getting a screwy lack of control of the mouse this morning. It's
working okay at the moment, but frequently I'll get a situation where
various things can happen. I say that because I'm not sure exactly
what's going on. One of the things that seems to happen is that the
mouse cursor doesn't track with the mouse movement, but at the same
time, if I drag over something it will be selected and acted upon. For
example, while I was trying to get a response to moving the mouse it
seems that I dragged over the icon to start Google Earth, and it
started. Also, I had a LiberOffice Writer document open, and opened a
LibreOffice spreadsheet. As I moved the cursor over the spreadsheet, all
of a sudden that area of the spreadsheet was selected, copied, and then
pasted into the LO Writer document. Weird.

After a couple of minutes things settle down and I can again move the
mouse and have the mouse cursor track said movement. I tried rebooting
to the next most recent version of Ubuntu 12.04, (was 28 something, now
25 something) but that didn't take away the problem.

The only guess -- and it may just be coincidence -- is that this seems
to have occurred after upgrading to Google Earth 7. I wouldn't expect
that to matter, though.

Has anybody else using Ubuntu 12.04 experienced anything like this?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens