[PLUG] No movies for me tonight

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Tue Jul 9 05:36:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 22:13:29 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> I use a 32GB Patriot USB3 drive (formatted FAT32) to transfer files
> from my laptop (Fedora 16, x86_64) to my desktop (Mint-Xfce, recent
> new install). I have never had a problem until tonight. I unmounted
> the Patriot from the laptop, removed it, and inserted it into the
> desktop. The desktop sees it (label "Patriot"), but refused to mount
> it because I do not have permission. I never needed permission
> before, but apparently suddenly now I do.
>
> I cannot mount it manually using sudo from the command line because I
> do not know what its device name is. How can I figure out what its
> device name is?

The lsblk(8) command should tell you what the device name is.  I
_think_ Palimpsest will, too, if you want a GUI command.  (It's
been a long time since I used it.)

> More importantly, why would my desktop suddenly demand permission to
> mount this device?

I don't know.  Has anything been changed recently?  Software
upgrades can be problematic at times.

--Dale

--
"The software industry is really one of the only organizations
where you can knowingly build a defective product and push it out