[PLUG] No movies for me tonight

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 01:29:57 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 11:07 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 22:36:28 -0700
> Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> dijo:
>
>> The lsblk(8) command should tell you what the device name is.  I
>> _think_ Palimpsest will, too, if you want a GUI command.  (It's
>> been a long time since I used it.)
>
> Brilliant! Turns out it was SDE1. Now happily mounted.

/var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog will also have that info. (Hey
whatcha expect from a Slackware guy?)

>>> More importantly, why would my desktop suddenly demand permission to
>>> mount this device?
>>
>> I don't know.  Has anything been changed recently?  Software
>> upgrades can be problematic at times.
>
> There have been no upgrades for a long time. However, I have been
> having issues with Xfce on my laptop. There is a panel widget "Places"
> that I have come to rely on. On my laptop (where mounting the Patriot
> drive is not a problem) the Places widget insisted on opening locations
> with Nautilus instead of the Xfce default, Thunar. In desperation I
> recently uninstalled Nautilus, which caused Places to open locations
> with Konqueror (KDE is also installed on this computer, although I
> never log in to it). The problem may be related to these actions, but
> why that should affect the desktop computer is beyond me.

Sounds like either something changed you user's permissions for
hotplugging, or, changed a udev rule. Typically, to automount USB
drives, you need to be part of the 'plugdev' group.

There is also a battle over udisk vs udisk2 so check to make sure these
don't conflict, corrupted, or were changed:

/lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks2.rules

I don't use any widgets but do run Xfce 4.10.  Thunar sees the
automounted USB drives just fine.

Have fun.
Ed