[PLUG] Conferences, Powerpoint, and freedom

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 26 23:50:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013, Tim wrote:

> Back to your suggestion: do you know of an easy way to go from ODP to
> LaTeX/Beamer?

tim,

   No, because I've no experience with anything but LaTeX/beamer for
presentations.

   If I may comment on your statement about HTML5 being 'snazzier': I see
'snazzy' as one of the problems with PPT presentations. The emphasis is on
looks rather than clear presentation of content. All beamer docs (the one
that comes with the class and Herbert Voss's new book) stress simplicity and
clarity on the slides.

   How many PPT presentations have you suffered through where each slide had
a pretty picture as a background with low contrast text over it, almost
solid text on the slide, and the presenter with his back to the audience
reading the slide out loud? With LaTeX/beamer you have a plain background,
your choice of the hierarchy visible, and only a few bullet points (or a
diagram). The visuals are to augment what you say, not have so much that
someone can read all the slides and not need to hear your presentation. I no
longer put the company logo on each slide, only on the title slide.

   Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference. I prefer substance
over form since I'm not a graphic artist or designer.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |