[PLUG] PDF, document viewer, Chrome, and printing

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jul 29 00:00:00 UTC 2013

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 16:04:59 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>(Running Ubuntu 12.04)
>
>I have downloaded a number of pdf files from a website.  In Document
>Viewer they look fine, print preview looks good, but in printing much
>is garbage.  Opening them in Chrome they look fine, as does printing.
>
>FWIIW I opened one in gedit.  I see the following at the start of the
>file:
>
>%PDF-1.2

PDF version 1.2 is kind of old. But that shouldn't matter for viewing
it. An older version is a problem only if creating a PDF and trying to
use features not available in the old version.

I use Evince as my default viewer, and I can't remember ever having a
problem viewing a PDF file. There are other Linux PDF viewers, notably
Okular and GSView. And there is always Adobe Reader for Linux. I also
have installed the proprietary viewers Cabaret and Foxit, as well as
a number of PDF editors.