[PLUG] Compile from source to .deb or .rpm package?

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Wed Jun 5 18:54:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 11:37:24AM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I would do the same with the latest version if I could some day figure
> out how to make packages from source.

In my experience, building manually packages from source is not a
trivial undertaking.  However, years ago I successfully used a program
called "checkinstall" that almost fully automated the process of
building from source and creating a package.  Looks like it's still
around:

  When make install is done, CheckInstall will create a Slackware, RPM
  or Debian compatible package and install it...

http://checkinstall.izto.org/

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-checkinstall-build-packages-source

--
Paul