[PLUG] Compile from source to .deb or .rpm package?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jun 5 19:00:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:04:20 -0700
Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> dijo:

>On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 07:32:37PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> The program is Sleepyhead, available here:
>>
>> 	http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead/?source=directory
>
>Well, looks like option 1 or 3 are available to you:
>http://wtogami.fedorapeople.org/pkgreview/sleepyhead/
>via http://wtogami.blogspot.com/

That is interesting. I did not realize there were packages in the
Fedora repos. However, those packages are 2 February 2013, which is
newer than the one I currently have installed, but the latest release
is 19 May 2013.

>Looks like Mr. Togami is building it, and has made a source RPM
>available. So if he can't be convinced to build an up-to-the-minute
>version, we could extract the RPM spec from his source RPM and use
>that to build one.
>
>> In fact, I have not yet located the source for the new version, but I
>> assume it is there on Sourceforge somewhere. I thought I'd start by
>> asking if what I want to do is possible.
>
>The most up-to-date version is in a Git repo, but hasn't seen any
>changes since Jan 15 2013.  So Warren Togami's F18 RPM should be up to
>date.

Not if it's 2 February 2013, but maybe he can be convinced to make a
newer one. And if he does he should also send it to Mark Watkins
(JediMark, the developer) so he can put them on Sourceforge for others
to download.

>That's really interesting software, incidentally.  We have an unused
>CPAP kicking around (a boil-and-bite mouthpiece worked better) so I
>should see if I can talk to it.

The main issue with the mouth devices is that you have no way to tell
if the therapy is adequate without a sleep study. My doc billed $2500
for my sleep study, and that is the norm, although there are cheaper
take-home devices. Mouth devices are also known to alter the mouth
geography over time - like braces. And they are not usually adequate if
the apnea is severe.

Using a data capable blower with software like Sleepyhead almost makes
the sleep doctor irrelevant, given a patient with sufficient knowledge
to interpret the daily results and the motivation to do so.
Unfortunately, few patients meet those criteria so sleep doctoring is
likely to continue to be a growth industry.