[PLUG] Editing a video DVD

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sun Jun 9 22:03:57 UTC 2013

What is the simplest way to use Linux tools to take a non-copy-
protected video DVD apart, remove the first 9.5 minutes of the
content, and make a new DVD with the same menus, etc?

The particular DVD is the recording of an awards ceremony at a
conference, where a really wonderful person was introduced by
a foulmouthed idiot MC.  Before I share the DVD with others,
I would like to edit out the MC.  Most of the people at the
ceremony would like to do the same with their brains.  While I
can tell people to fast forward to 9:30, or just turn off the
sound, they may be tempted to listen to Mr. Nasty, and there
are some things (like goatse) which you cannot un-know.

So, which tool is easiest?  I don't want to become an editing
guru, just edit out one of nature's mistakes.

Keith