[PLUG] MythTV?

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Wed Jun 19 01:51:16 UTC 2013

<rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> Is anybody on the list running a Myth box? And can you point me to
> current information I can use to set up a Myth box?

I'm running Myth under Ubuntu 12.04 (Mythbuntu 12.04 64-bit). I can't say I've
had any real problems with it. The Mythbuntu.org support page has a number of
links, including to the MythTV wiki at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki.

Was there something specific mentioned about 12.04?

> BTW, my plan will be to record HDTV content from an antenna, and not to
> record programming from cable.

That's what I'm doing. My intent was to cut the cord with Cable/Satellite and
stop wasting $1,000+/year just to watch TV. I took the easy approach, and got
an HDHomerun. I was so happy with it I bought a 2nd later on. Stay away from
the HDHomerun Prime. The 3 tuners is tempting, but it's cable-only. And for the
same price you can get two 2-tuner units.

The only real problem I had was getting audio to work over HDMI using the
internal on-board ATI hardware. I eventually gave up and got an inexpensive
(and fan-less) nVidia card, and use the proprietary driver.

There's an annoying bug where it loses track of where it is if you're watching
live TV and the programming transitions to the next show... it works OK, but
always says it's at the end of the stream and doesn't skip forward/backward
very well. But I have no problems with recorded shows.

You'll also want to avoid using the OTA embedded channel guide data. If there
are any reception problems it will end up filling the logfile with error
messages. Stick with Schedules Direct, it's worth the $25/yr.