[PLUG] MythTV?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Jun 19 18:11:49 UTC 2013

On 06/18/2013 06:47 PM, Galen Seitz wrote:
> I'm running Mythbuntu 11.10, which uses mythtv 0.24.2.  It runs
> reasonably well for recording OTA TV.  Other pieces(mythmusic,
> mythvideo, etc.) work, but have some rough edges.  Note that my setup
> has separate frontend and backend machines, so that adds to the
> complexity.  I suspect 12.04+0.25 would address some of my complaints,
> but it is working well enough that it is hard to justify the risk of
> breaking things.

Working well and left alone (except for normal updates) is my approach
in general. I delayed upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04 until this winter.
I'm still using 10.04 on a separate machine for some things that broke
with 12.04. Sigh.

> For hardware, I've got an Sandy Bridge i3 for the backend.  It has four
> 1 TB disks configured as two 1 TB RAID1 devices.  My tuner is a
> SiliconDust HDHomerun connected to an antenna in my attic.  I'm ~5 miles
> from the Portland transmitter towers.  My frontend box is a Zotac Ion
> system.  It feels a bit underpowered, but it works.  My preference today
> would be for Intel video, avoiding proprietary video drivers.  This
> assumes they've gotten the kinks out of the VAAPI stuff.

I want to set up a separate backend machine and do a couple of front end
machines, since I have a second TV. It will be interesting to see if I
can put an antenna in the right place to get a signal. I'm east of
Oregon City, and near the crest of a hill (going downhill to the south,
unfortunately). It may be possible to put an antenna in the attic. How
well does UHF travel through cedar shingles?

> If I were starting today, I would probably get my feet wet with
> Mythbuntu 12.04.2.  This would get you MythTV 0.25.  There's definitely
> a learning curve, so don't expect to get everything perfect the first
> time.  By the time you get some experience with it, 14.04 will be just
> around the corner.  14.04 will probably have 0.26.  Around May 2014 you
> can decide whether to keep what you've got, or to move to 14.04.  This
> assumes the Mythbuntu people decide to move to 14.04.

I hope to be able to have a separate machine to set a new backend up
when that time comes. Any idea whether frontends and backends have to be
the same version?

Thanks for the info. Once I get started I'm sure I'll be asking lots of
questions.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens