[PLUG] DSL modem

Ryan Rogerson ryanr.lkml at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:59:53 UTC 2013

On 2/28/2013 10:27 PM, Marvin Kosmal wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Ryan Rogerson <ryanr.lkml at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi..
>>>
>>> Don't know much about rsync.  But, I can probably install an FTP
>>> server and do ftp.  Will check out both..
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Marvin
>> Why not both?  SSH provides a simple and secure entry method.  rsync is
>> a great backup tool and it can use the ssh protocol.  No need for a
>> full-blown FTP tool.
>>
>> In order to use ssh through your router you need to configure your
>> firewall to allow communication through port 22 (or another port of your
>> choosing).  A non-standard port is often chosen for security reasons.
>>
>> You configure your receiver's ssh service to listen on the port you
>> chose and set up a log-in method.  You can use a simple
>> username/password configuration or go with a public/private key login
>> system.
>>
>> Links like this show how to setup password-less ssh on the destination
>> system:
>> http://www.adminschoice.com/how-to-configure-ssh-without-password
>>
>> Once you get your ssh access configured you simply issue a command like:
>>
>> rsync -avh (src path) -e "ssh -p (port number)" username@(ip
>> address):~/(dest path)
>>

>> ~Ryan
>>

> OK
>
> I can use ssh and scp from my computer to the web server..
>
> I can't ssh into the web server and then  ssh into my home box from
> the web server.

Couple of possibilities here:

1.  Correct IP address to your home box.
Does your ISP issue static IP addresses?  If not, you can use a service
like DynDNS to set up a dynamic dns address that updates as your home IP
address changes assuming your router supports it.

2.  Firewall
Are you going through a router?  Is the firewall configured to forward
the SSH port to your backup machine?

3.  SSH Daemon
Is the SSH daemon running on the backup box?  Did you configure it to
accept inbound connections?

~Ryan