[PLUG] Strange update manager behavior

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 02:27:03 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Paul Munday <paulm at freegeek.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 11:24 -0800, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> > On 02/16/2013 10:53 AM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>
> > > In the auth log I see COMMAND=/usr/bin/update-manager --dist-upgrade.
> > > did not enter that command.  I cannot decipher other logs.
> > >
> > > Any clues as to what happened,
>
> This is just a normal upgrade (more or less). The difference between
> update and dist-update is
>
>            dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
>            also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new
> versions
>            of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution
> system, and
>            it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
>            expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
>            command may remove some packages.
>
>                 (from man apt-get)
>
> In practice the main difference you will notice is that dist-upgrade
> install new kernels.
> Update manager does a dist-upgrade by default so that is what you would
> see in normal operation.
>

> > unless somehow it was trying to take you from 12.04 to
> > 12.10. And, no. I don't know how to prevent a recurrence.
>
> In the update -manager settings you can change to notify you only of LTS
> releases (or not at all).
>
> Paul
> --

Thanks for the reply.

I have verified that I presently specify only LTS releases.  I am not sure
that it was set that way previously, but I thought that it was.

The man page piece you quote does not clarify the difference, if any,
between update and upgrade.  But things seems to be going as expected now.

Sorry for the late response.  I was out of town and away from the machine.

-Denis