[PLUG] Daylight savings time

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Mon Mar 11 16:30:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:27:45 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 05:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
> Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:
>
> >On Sun, 10 Mar 2013, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> >
> >> I'm off to rag on the devs at the Xfce forum. :)
>
> >I've used Xfce since Olivier first released it and have never
> >experienced a problem with changing time twice a year. When the
> >Shrub altered the transition dates from standard to daylight saving
> >and back we all had to update a library (I forget which one new),
> >but that new library should be in any current distribution.
> >
> >   I don't think it's an Xfce issue.
>
> I posted a query in the Xfce Desktop forum, but no replies so far.

I have to agree with Rich; I really doubt that it's an Xfce problem.
I have two Fedora machines: my desktop running F17, and my laptop
running F18.  Both of them switched over to Daylight Saving Time, with
no trouble.  Date, GKrellM, LXDE's panel module, and E17's Clock Module
all show the right time.  I don't have Xfce installed, so I can't check
that.

> My current theory is that there is a library or config file somewhere
> that tells it when DST starts, and the date is the old one before it
> was moved back. But that doesn't explain why it always worked before.
> I've had Xfce on my Fedora laptop for at least a couple of years now,
> and I have never had this problem before. It is also strange that the
> Xubuntu 12.04 desktop is equally affected.

I really doubt that this is the problem.  It seems quite unlikely to
me that both Fedora and Xubuntu would fail to update their time zone
data files in exactly the same way.  For what it's worth, though,
there are two time zone packages for Fedora: tzdata and tzdata-java.
The first has all the rules for time zones all over the world.  The
second is the same thing, but for Java -- the language, not the
island. :-)  Both are at version 2012j.  My version of ntpdate is
4.2.6p5.  But like I said, I doubt this is the problem.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

--Dale

--
Penn's aunts made great apple pies at low prices.  No one else
in town could compete with the pie rates of Penn's aunts.