[PLUG] System crashing

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 13 05:04:52 UTC 2013

Last week I was surfing along in Firefox and suddenly the mouse froze,
and then a few moments later the screen went black, followed by the
Thinkpad boot screen coming up. Fedora 16 x86_64 (all updates applied)
had just crashed. When it finished rebooting I found nothing in
var/log/messages or anyplace else I could think of to look. There were
no other symptoms at all.

This evening it happened again, except that this time it happened when
launching K3b. I had not done anything in Firefox for 15-20 minutes.
Upon rebooting I note the following in /var/log/messages just before it
died:

Mar 12 21:25:07 Devil8 kernel: [184171.870772] traps:
nautilus[10552] trap divide error ip:7f2eb1544638 sp:7fff72a0b3b0
error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3000.3[7f2eb1511000+11e000]
Mar 12 21:25:08 Devil8 kernel: [184173.142083] ACPI:
\_SB_.PCI0.IDE0.PRIM.MSTR - undocking
Mar 12 21:25:09 Devil8 kernel: [184174.351575] ACPI:
\_SB_.PCI0.IDE0.PRIM.MSTR - docking

I note that I am running Xfce desktop, although Gnome is also
installed. I have never logged in with Gnome since Fedora went to
Gnome 3. In the Xfce settings "automatically start Gnome services on
login" is unchecked. I have no idea why Nautilus is running.

A computer that just unceremoniously crashes is not tolerable.

In addition (probably unrelated) just before the crash I find the
following message over and over:

Mar 12 21:21:42 Devil8 NetworkManager[1110]: <info> Auto-activating
connection 'JJJ-2'.
Mar 12 21:21:42 Devil8 NetworkManager[1110]: <info>
Connection 'JJJ-2' auto-activation failed: (2) WPA Ad-Hoc disabled due
to kernel bugs

There is no JJJ-2 network. There is a JJJ wireless network. At one
time, while struggling to get the JJJ wireless network running properly
I created a JJJ-2 wireless network, which was later deleted. Since the
laptop is always connected to ethernet wireless connections are
disabled when at home. Yet it continues to try to autoconnect to a
wireless network that does not exist.

In Network Configuration I found a long list of wireless networks that
I may have connected to (or tried to connect to) at one time, including
JJJ-2. The GUI has no option to delete the network. There is a checkbox
in front of each (all were ticked) in a column labeled "Profile," but
there is no Help information for what "Profile" means or what will
happen if I uncheck the box. I unchecked all but the ones I recognized
as networks that I actually connect to.

Any and all suggestions welcome.