[PLUG] DHCP renew

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Mar 13 22:24:15 UTC 2013

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Herrington <herda05 at gmail.com> writes:

Daniel> All, I was looking at my ClearOS dhcp leases, and saw that I
Daniel> had a mysterious host show up:

Daniel> 192.168.1.241d4:9a:20:5c:2b:04shalomThu Mar 14 02:02:56 2013
Daniel> The address is on my wireless LAN. I tried to ping the host,
Daniel> but the response timed out. I then did a tcpdump on the
Daniel> interface and filterd for anything coming from that ip, but am
Daniel> not seeing any packets. My question is, since the lease was
Daniel> renewed recently (I think the setup is for 24 hour leases),
Daniel> does the other machine have to be online for that to happen?
Daniel> Did Shalom's lease just "auto-renew" or did it have to be
Daniel> online to request it?

Typically, IIRC, the client is responsible for requesting a lease
renewal.  In most cases, about halfway through the lease time, the
client will request a renewal (this might depend on the dhcp client
software, but half way seems to be common with Linux clients).  Of
course, if the client device is sleeping, or left the range of your
wireless network, or not responding to pings, you won't see it with
ping.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net