[PLUG] CPU stress test

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Mar 14 00:42:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:05:42AM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I need to figure out some kind of CPU stress test to see how hot I can
> get the CPUs and to watch the fan speed as they heat up.

The canonical CPU stress test is compiling X - probably too geeky
for you.

If you want something that overheats my laptop, go to
http://server-sky.com/DisplacementAcceleration
and download the binaries gsr02 and gsr03 and run both of them.
Each will keep one of your CPU cores busy, until the Thinkpad
overheats and shuts down.  At least, that's what happens with
my Thinkpad T60.

When I need to do this much computation, I normally use a
desktop machine.  A "big brother" of these calculations has been
running on my compute server since last Thursday, two instances
pegging both CPUs, and they will finish up any hour now.

BTW, it is amusing that the latest nVidia "Titan" GPU card will
do 1.4 Teraflops, for a mere $1400.  That is more computation on
one PCIe card than the world's biggest supercomputer 20 years ago.
I want to do some calculations that will max out a rack of these.
Scary big numeric problems.

Keith