[PLUG] How to undo an update?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Mar 14 21:26:08 UTC 2013

Yesterday, or maybe the day before, Ubuntu 10.04 did one of it's
updates. It included updating LibreOffice to version 4.0.1.2. I was
typing along yesterday, minding my own business, and LibreOffice
disappeared from the screen. I was able to reopen it and recover both
the .doc I was typing, and the .xls I use for a time sheet. At the same
time, the program I used for playing back transcription audio files
crashed. LibreOffice is a Java program, and I have a crash report
related to that crash. Transcribe is a Python program. When I started
Transcribe up again, it would not allow me to position the playback
point so I could continue on without having to listen to the whole file
over again. I switched to using ExpressScribe, a winders program,
running on Virtual Box. That part works okay.

This morning I typed three files in LibreOffice with no problem. This
afternoon I started on another file and got through about three and a
half pages and LibreOffice disappeared from the screen. Again, I was
able to recover the .doc and .xls files. (Yesterday I was working with
the default 15 minute interval for automated save. Today I have that set
to one minute. So I don't have to redo as much work as yesterday. We
live and learn.)

Anyway, Does anyone have any ideas on how I could revert to an earlier
version of LibreOffice in Ubuntu 10.04?

This weekend I'll be trying, again, to get Ubuntu 12.04 working on
another machine. I note that the version of LibreOffice available under
10.04 is through  a PPA, whereas the version available under 12.04 is
now a "standard package." I don't know if that means LibreOffice on
12.04 will be more stable or not. I have an installation of the 64 bit
version of 12.04 with LibreOffice version 3.5.7.2. I don't know if the
32 bit version is the same as the 64 bit version or not. I'll be
installing the 32 bit version of 12.04 since there appears to be a
problem with the nVidia driver not liking the 64 bit version of 12.04.

Okay. I'm starting to ramble so I'll shut up. Recommendations on how to
have a stable version of LibreOffice will be appreciated. Alas,
recommendations that I use another word processing tool will not help
since I must use .doc templates that are provided to me.

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens