[PLUG] An equivelent for a Mac utility

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 20:57:30 UTC 2013

On 03/16/2013 12:51 PM, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> This is from journalist Dan Gillmor. Anyone?
>
> I've made the transition to Linux fairly smoothly, but one of the
> things I miss most from the Mac ecosystem is the ability to create
> encrypted sparse bundle disk images. This technique breaks up a
> large file (or directory or collections of folders) into a
> directory of smaller encrypted chunks -- files -- and it grows as
> the amount data you put into it grows.
>
> This is particularly useful for online backup (e.g. Dropbox) for
> two reasons: First, the only items that change are particular
> files, not the entire thing, so it's bandwidth friendly. Second,
> given the relatively poor security record at Dropbox -- which I
> like a lot for most purposes -- this is much safer.
>
> I've seen nothing to compare to this on Linux. Does anyone know of
> anything to match it? I hope the Linux community is working on a
> way to replicate this incredibly useful tool.

Linux does not "spoon feed" you advanced utilities.  You need to think
out side the box and learn what is actually the process

Try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS
http://www.arg0.net/encfs

For Ubuntu:
http://www.howtogeek.com/121737/how-to-encrypt-cloud-storage-on-linux-and-windows-with-encfs/

Other distros will have it in their repos as well.  There are various
front end GUIs, tray applets, depending on your system (PAM, ...) and
setup instructions for GDM, etc.

Linux has had a number of encrypted file systems for ages.  Any one of
which can be used to upload to the "cloud."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptographic_file_systems

Have fun.