[PLUG] Samba access - different results from different machines

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 07:00:52 UTC 2013

On 03/17/2013 03:39 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On my network I have three Ubuntu machines -- two 10.04 and one
> 12.04, and a Windows 7 machine. When I try to access the Win7
> machine from one of the 10.04 machines or from the 12.04 machine
> I'm asked for a password. I'm not asked for a password when trying
> to access the Win7 machine from the other 10.04 machine. I'd like
> to set things up so that all of the machines are able to access the
> shared directories of any of the other machines. I don't know how
> to phrase the question for Mr. Google. I get lots of instructions
> for installing Samba, but nothing that covers my question.
>
> Recommended reading?
>
> Thanks.

Google: BAH!

To have Linux boxes talk to Windows and vice versa, you need to set up
SAMBA.  Everything SAMBA does on Linux is controlled via settings in
/etc/samba/smb.conf

You have to make sure that all users/machines are in the same
workgroup, netbios name, security (user and group), etc.  The Ubuntu
boxes will need to have the SAMBA server service running and the Win7
box will need to be configured properly.

This can be a nontrivial exercise: I often find setting up Linux-Linux
a heck of a lot easier than Linux-Windows.  MS often breaks things
between versions. Of course, in Linux, sharing via NFS is superior -
but that is another story.

Best place to start is:

http://www.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html

Then

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

This is another nice HOWTO:

http://www.oregontechsupport.com/samba/

After the above, you'll be a SAMBA master, easily browsing and
mounting smb and cifs shares!

Have fun.