[PLUG] Annoying window maximize feature in Ubuntu 12.04

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Tue Mar 19 04:31:36 UTC 2013

On 03/16/2013 04:43 PM, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with gnome-session-fallback. I have an nVidia
> card and two monitors. The annoying feature is that when I drag a window
> to the secondary monitor, if I get the top of the window too close to
> the top of the screen, the window maximizes itself. This is annoying
> because it means I lose the use of a title bar's worth of the screen.
>
> Does anyone know if this "feature" can be turned off? Does it have a
> name? If I knew what it was called I'd have a much better time searching
> for info about it.
>
> Thanks for any hints.

i noticed this too. It's like the annoying "maximize when close to the
screen edge" behavior in MS Windows 7 (although i bet there's a goofy
name for it).

One of the first things i did in 12.04 was install Compiz Config
Settings Manager, so i could load my old tweaked settings from 10.10.
was able to login to Gnome fallback and fix it). Anyway, i used CCSM to
examine all the window-management settings. The "Snapping Windows"
plugin controls this behavior and defaults to ON. It's a simple chekbox
to disable the plugin altogether.

HTH,
Joe
Joe Shisei Niski