[PLUG] Resolved: Annoying window maximize feature in Ubuntu 12.04

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Mar 19 14:34:41 UTC 2013

On 03/18/2013 10:16 PM, Joe Shisei Niski wrote:
> i noticed this too. It's like the annoying "maximize when close to the
> screen edge" behavior in MS Windows 7 (although i bet there's a goofy
> name for it).

Hmm. I'll have to see if that happens on my wife's Win 7 machine.

> One of the first things i did in 12.04 was install Compiz Config
> Settings Manager, so i could load my old tweaked settings from 10.10.
> i was able to login to Gnome fallback and fix it). Anyway, i used CCSM
> to examine all the window-management settings. The "Snapping Windows"
> plugin controls this behavior and defaults to ON. It's a simple
> chekbox to disable the plugin altogether.

> a bit of followup - the Compiz Grid plugin also implements this
> behavior, and my also need to be disabled.
>
> As much as i enjoy the functionality and eye candy offeredb by Compiz
> plugins and the Extras package, it can turn into a real unstable mess if
> one gets carried away with customizations. It's more fragile if you're
> using Unity, which itself is currently implemented as a Compiz plugin.

Thanks. One day I might take a look at that. I found another solution --
Gnome Classic no effects.

There are only a couple of things I notice that are different, and
neither of them matter to me. One is that at the bottom right hand of
the primary screen the set of workspace boxes in Gnome Classic is
condensed into a smaller area. In Gnome Classic no effects it returned
to the horizontal group of four small boxes, one for each of four
workspaces. I make use of two, so I might change that someday.

The other thing I notice is that the Firefox Downloads box in the
application list at the bottom of the screen doesn't have an odd
coloration when using Gnome Classic no effects. Sometimes I have
occasion to download several things with Firefox at one sitting. When I
do this I minimize the little window FF opens showing me my downloads.
Then, when I'm done, I can clear that list once. When using Gnome
Classic that box, in the bottom bar with all the running applications,
has a weird appearance where it's partly colored funny on the top half
of the box. When I click on it the weird color goes away. With Gnome
Classic no effects that weirdness is no longer there. No loss to me.

So far I haven't found that there's anything I miss when using Gnome
Classic no effects.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens