[PLUG] Ubuntu suspend/wake issue

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Tue Mar 19 17:56:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:09:37 -0700
Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> wrote:

> My ubuntu-running X201 thinkpad (running the latest Ubuntu), has
> recently developed a problem after updating.
>
> When I wake the machine (by opening the lid) it wakes up just long
> enough to show the lock screen, then it goes back to sleep.
>
> I can then wake it up by pressing the power button and everything
> behaves normally until I put it to sleep again (by closing the lid),
> and I have the same issue waking it up again.
>
> This has turned out to be a frustrating thing to search for, since
> there is a long and sordid history of sleep/resume problems with
> Ubuntu.
>
> Further complicating issues, I'm running XFCE, with Xmonad as the
> window manager and xfce4-power-manager.
>
> Does anyone have debugging suggestions?  I've included a bit from my
> syslog showing the end of the first wake, and the subsequent sleep,
> but it doesn't look very informative to me.
>
> Thanks!
> Rogan
>
> Here's a snippit from syslog:

------------>%======== snip! ========%<------------

Rogan,

Was the kernel upgraded?  If so, can you downgrade it to the
previous version?  To be honest, this looks like a kernel problem
to me.  NetworkManager successfully started, then it looks like
something immediately told it to shut down again -- probably
whatever it was that told the rest of the system to shut down.
Unfortunately, the syslog doesn't say what that was.  :-(  (And
I've always found NM's syslog messages to be quite inscrutable.)

I would try downgrading the kernel, if you can, and see if that
fixes it.  If so, you get to file a bug report.  :-)  You might
try asking on the Ubuntu IRC channel (#ubuntu on irc.freenode.net,
I think), or the Ubuntu support forums.

I'm sorry I can't help more, but that's all I can think of.

--Dale

--
"Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side,
and it holds the universe together."   --Carl Zwanzig