[PLUG] Unicode mystery

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 1 15:14:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, 1 May 2013, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> The text was interesting, but to me what was even more curious was a
> mystery glyph in the subject line: "?." From the context the glyph was
> intended to by an apostrophe. This glyph did not render in Claws Mail.

John,

   I see a lot of these types of glyphs in messages written with a Microsoft
tool in a GUI mail user agent but read by me with alpine (a text-based MUA).
I don't know that they're unicode and have always assumed they're some funky
HTML code. For the most part I ignore them.

   When they show up in a message that I forward I delete the cruft and
replace it with the appropriate punctuation and that resolves the issue.