[PLUG] Trying to buy a new laptop (sigh)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri May 10 23:22:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, 10 May 2013 10:15:04 -0700
C W <elcaseti at gmail.com> dijo:

>I don't know if they sell laptop stands or docks, but Think Penguin (in
>addition to Zareason) is a good place to buy computers from.

Thanks for the heads up. I had not heard of Think Penguin before. Sadly,
they offer only low end laptops. What I want will probably set me back a
couple thousand simoleons.

At the top of my list at the moment is the Traverse Pro from Puget
Computers in Seattle. It has everything I want except the docking
station. But I can use a USB 3.0 docking station with it, and its USB
3.0 ports are at the very back of the sides. Its competition is a high
end Thinkpad 530. The Thinkpad offers a perfect docking station, but no
blue-ray burner.

I have decided to defer the decision until school is out a month from
now. The DVD burner in my T61 doesn't work and one of the two DVD
drives in my desktop has also died. I'm down to one working DVD burner
in the house. But I can limp along for another month.