[PLUG] how to dual boot Windows 7 with kubuntu on new computer with UEFI

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Mon May 27 20:00:33 UTC 2013

On May 27, 2013, at 8:02 AM, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find that hard to believe. Every computer mother board has some sort
> of BIOS, EFI or not.

BIOS is defined as the antiquated IO systems for PCs. EFI is a replacement, and not technically BIOS. According to the link below, EFI is just a software interface between the OS and the Firmware of a computer. It appears that you are calling EFI "BIOS" which it isn't.

There is no BIOS on my computer, as in, no keystroke to 'enter' BIOS and make changes to the settings. There's nothing to configure in a true (U)EFI based computer. There is a keystroke to cause the system to boot from the optical drive, USB or network. There is a keystroke to force the EFI to scan the system, and configure itself.

But the human on the meatspace side of the keyboard can't make any manual changes.

This is also why my computer does not support a floppy, unless it's attached to the USB port. Then it looks like just another thumb drive. No reason to clog up the works with a slow floppy interface.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/unified-extensible-firmware-interface/efi-homepage-general-technology.html

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net