[PLUG] installed kubuntu 13.04 on hp h8-1360t desktop, but how do I boot it?

Dan Anderson anderson8006 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 20:46:44 UTC 2013

Hello,

I didn't see a way to turn off UEFI in the bios, but I did make some
progress. Here's what I did:
1. installed Kubuntu 13.04 from DVD
result: installation completes, but if I allow the computer to boot
normally I get the single line of text
grub rescue>
I don't see any obvious way to progress from this.
2. boot while holding down the <ESC> key to enter the Startup Menu
If I choose Boot Menu/UEFI options/Windows, it will boot Windows
If I instead choose Boot Menu/UEFI options/Kubuntu, I'll be left with the
"grub rescue>" prompt again.
3. choose Run UEFI Application.../File Browser select HDD: WDC
WD10EZEX-60ZF5A0/File Browser select EFI/File Browser Select kubuntu/File
Browser select grubx64.efi
I get the following screen:
"
GNU GRUB version 2.00-13ubuntu3

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB lists
possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or
file completions

grub>
"

If I then press <TAB>  I get a page of possible commands, including
"chainloader" "linux" "linuxefi" "boot" "xnu_kernel" and many others.

My question is - can I somehow boot kubuntu from this grub prompt?

Thanks,

Dan