[PLUG] Initial review Dell latitude 6340U Ubuntu 13.04

Chris Schafer xophere at gmail.com
Tue May 28 19:14:26 UTC 2013

This laptop runs about 1000-1200.  This is with the 1600x900 mate display,
128GB SSD, 6 GB RAM, intel wifi and dell blue tooth.

As people are discussion real quality systems for running linux I wanted to
point out this not so advertised model.

It has an 8 hour battery.  A very high quality keyboard.  reasonable track
pad and pointing stick.  The display is reasonable quality.  It is mate but
not ips.  I have found it totally workable.

I have not had any device problems so far with ubuntu.   I am also running
windows 7.  Will be moving to a Linux with win 7 in virtual box as the
linux side is more tested.

Ubuntu has been more stable on this laptop then my desktop at home.  Both
running latest 13.04.

Insides of the device are great.  Battery is removable.  Then miniSata for
drive, memory, wifi, and bluetooth cards are all accessible with two screws.

It is a mid weight box.  But I am happy to trade the weight for the access
and repairable laptop.

I do not have the Wi Gig card or wireless dock.  Sorry can't help  you
there.

Dell win 7 install is very reasonable but with office and apps it is around
40GB.  Slightly problematic.

My goal is to run the win 7 from the partition it is on in virtual box and
natively.  It looks like this is possible.  Happy to update anyone who is
interested in that attempt directly.

All FN buttons and audio controls are working right now. I have a few more
items to test.