[PLUG] Mint 14 Xfce issues

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed May 29 02:26:49 UTC 2013

My desktop computer has only three functions: Stream internet radio,
play videos, and serve as a backup method to get on the net when I
hopelessly mess up my laptop. It ran Lucid until a few months ago when
I made a fresh installation of Xubuntu 12.04. Unfortunately, there is a
problem with Xubuntu 12.04 and the graphics (Geforce 6150 on the
motherboard) causing intermittent lockups in X. A week ago I decided to
try Mint 14 Xfce, which I ran for many days just from the live CD. No
problems with lockups, so yesterday I installed it, wiping out Xubuntu.

But now I find numerous problems with it. For starters, in the terminal
the "jjj at Devil10" is in Mint green. I can't stand that color, and
besides it's really hard to read. I can't find any setting to change it,
although I can change the color of the background and the rest of the
text. I installed Gnome-terminal, but it also comes up with the same
color. Must be a Mint thing. Is there a way to excise Mint green, or
did I make a bad distro choice?

Also, I can ask questions on the Xfce forums, but to do so I should say
what version of Xfce I have. How can I find out what version of Xfce I
have?