[PLUG] Mint 14 Xfce issues

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed May 29 03:52:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013 20:18:05 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> dijo:

>I assume you mean the terminal prompt, rather than the titlebar text.
>Check your ~/.bashrc file.  You should find one or more lines like:
>
>    tput setf n
>
>where "n" is an integer number representing the color of your
>text.  ("setf" stands for "set_foreground", meaning to set the
>foreground text color.)  I do something similar, causing my prompt
>to be displayed in bold white.  If I su to root, the prompt
>changes color to red.  I find this quite helpful.
>
>Forgive me, but you'll have to determine the color-to-number mappings
>yourself.  It's been too long, and I've forgotten what they are.
>Also, you'll want to check the man page for tput(1) and terminfo(5).
>The latter will tell you what the terminal capability names are that
>you need to feed tput.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I meant the terminal prompt. I'll work on this
later.

>> Also, I can ask questions on the Xfce forums, but to do so I should
>> say what version of Xfce I have. How can I find out what version of
>> Xfce I have?

>I believe the command "xfce4-about" will turn the trick.

I had to install xfce4-utils first, but having done so, the above
command tells me everything about Xfce4 except what version I have.

I tried apropos xfce4, which gave me about 20 commands related to xfce4,
but none that would give me the version number. Evidently this is a
closely held Mint state secret.