[PLUG] Mythtv questions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Nov 3 00:43:17 UTC 2013

I finally did it. I bought an HDHomeRun Prime and I have it set up. I
also upgraded the RAM in the desktop that it will run on to 4 GB, added
a 4 TB hard disk (in addition to the two existing 320 GB disks), and
even a BluRay burner. However, after installing and spending a couple
hours trying to get Mythtv working, I remain puzzled and unable to get
the HDHomeRun working to provide me with TV.

I also bought a plain rabbit-ears type antenna from Radio Shack. It
works great with my real TV set upstairs, so I assume it will suffice
for the HDHomeRun.

I should preface my questions by making it clear what I know about
television: There is a knob, usually on the left side and when you turn
it to the right it makes a click (turning the TV on), and if you
continue to turn it to the right the volume goes up. On the other side
there is a similar knob that makes clicking noises as you turn it to
the left and right, thus changing the channels.

That's it.

I have recently seen a lot of terms like "NTSC" and "ATSC," among
others. I don't know what they mean, and I don't even know if I should
care. I was hoping that Mythtv would come up on my computer screen with
a knob on the left and a knob on the right, but no such luck.

So here are some preliminary questions:

1) When I run any of the GUI tools, is there a way to run them in the
window manager, like with a title bar and buttons, that I can move
around on the screen? Oh, and with the mouse working, too? Or a least
a bit of instructions about which keyboard actions do what?

2) I found a place where the GUI front end found my HDHomeRun and
set up its ID and IP address. But when I try to do anything I get an
error message "could not connect to the master backend server." What is
a master backend server? Is this needed for viewing S&M programs?
'Cause that's so not me and I can do without it. If I need it, where is
it supposed to be? How do I create one and tell Mythtv where it is
located?

Oh, and I have Mythtv 2.0.25 on Xubuntu 12.04. Any suggestions
gratefully received.