[PLUG] Indoor TV antenna recommendations

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Nov 5 22:28:49 UTC 2013

On 11/05/2013 09:58 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I did finally get MythTV and my HDHomeRun working, sort of. That is,
> the MythTV Frontend application refuses to allow me to view TV because
> it complains that it can't find the Master Backend Server.

Sounds like you need to go through the setup for the backend. This is
what Galen and I were doing at the last clinic. I had the same error
message before the clinic. Completing the backend setup solved the problem.

To run the backend setup program exit the front end by hitting <ESC>
until it asks you if you want to quit. Select Yes, naturally. You are
then back at the minimal Xubuntu screen. At the top left is a button for
Applications. The bottom entry under that is System. The fourth entry
under System is MythTV Backend Setup. When it starts up it warns you
that the backend is running and gives you the option to stop it, which
you want to do. Then you have the backend setup menu.

I'm going to walk through the backend setup, but it's more than should
go in this reply. I'll post a separate message about running the backend
setup this afternoon.

> But if I use
> HDHomeRun Config GUI application I can find the channel I want and
> click on View, and then it opens the channel in VLC. I should probably
> figure out a better way, but at least I know the hardware is working.

Yes. That is a very handy tool to see that the HDHomeRun is running and
that you're getting signals out of the ether. While it's possible to
watch a show that way that's all it can do. If you know ahead of time
that you want to watch a show live, then it works.

> I should probably start by trying to figure out what a Master Backend
> Server is.

When you installed Mythbuntu it installed one backend server and one
front end. In MythTV you can have multiple backends and frontends, but
only one master backend. The one installed with Mythbuntu is your master
backend server. If, for some reason, you wanted another backend
somewhere on your network you would have to ensure that it was not the
master. (I'm sure there's documentation for that, but I'm guessing you
aren't planning on multiple backends.)

Basically, the backend receives signals, and does any recording, while
the front end displays programs on your monitor or TV.

--
Regards,

Richard C. Steffens