[PLUG] computer purchase advice

Randy Stapilus stapilus at ridenbaugh.com
Tue Nov 5 23:05:39 UTC 2013

Two or three questions, depending on how you count.

The last windows computer in our mostly-Linux household has crashed and
apparently died. Does not pass POST, does not collect anything -
motherboard is probably dead. This computer was used specifically for the
entertainment center, to stream audio/video to our tv (which mainly has
functioned as a monitor) and stereo.

Main reason we had windows on that one was Netflix, which I long heard did
not mesh with Linux. In the last year I've been reading about Netflix video
playing capability on Linux (as at
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/how-to-get-netflix-streaming-on-ubuntu-1210/);
in the experience of people here who have tried it, does it work well?

I'd like to set up the new entertainment-dedicated computer (just
streaming, no games or such) as a Linux machine, sufficient for the task
but keeping an eye on cost. So: Any recommendations on where (in the
PDX-Salem area) to best look for such a beast? I know this sort of question
comes up periodically, but it's probably good to revisit it occasionally.
I'd be ok with installing the OS (probably Ubuntu) myself, but does anyone
have any cautionary notes about what to keep alert for, in addition to
Linux-friendy wireless cards?

Advice would be most welcome.

Randy Stapilus
Ridenbaugh Press