[PLUG] Running MythTV Backend Setup on Mythbuntu

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Nov 6 02:20:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 15:46:00 -0800
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:

I was able to follow your excellent instructions line by line, except:

>For the Listings grabber line I chose North America
>(SchedulesDirect.org) (Internal). The User ID and password are for the
>SchedulesDirect account. As mentioned in an earlier post, this is a
>subscription service that costs about $25 a year. It provides the
>names and various other bits of information that they were able to collect
>for the programs. After putting in your user ID and password, select
>Retrieve Lineups. You may or may not see a popup window that says it's
>part way finished. I think that's okay. I'll come back to this later,
>because I think a later screen has something related to it.

I left the SchedulesDirect lines empty, because I do not want their
service, unless it is mandatory. I do not need program schedules.

>I have an entry for the DataDirect lineup which says, PC:97045. That's
>my zip code.

I cannot edit this line. It remains blank because I can't figure out
what magic key combinations will get a cursor in the line.

>For Video Source I chose HDHomeRun - Antenna, and I left Use quick
>tuning at never.

Unable to edit the Video Source line, due to the same problems as above.

>There are three more entries on the backend setup menu, 6. Channel
>Editor, 7. Storage Directories, and 8. System Events. I have not
>changed anything on any of those screens.
>

>Hit <ESC> to exit the backend setup program. When you do you'll get a
>warning reminding you to run mythfilldatabase on the master backend.
>After acknowledging that a popup window asks if you want to "start the
>mythtv backend?" I chose Yes. After entering my password I was asked
>if I wanted to run mythfilldatabase. Again I said Yes. You'll see a
>terminal window open and see that process running. It might take
>awhile because it goes out and gets a couple of weeks worth of
>programming info.
>
>After that, go to Applications > Multimedia > MythTV Frontend, and you
>may be returned to your regularly scheduled program(s).

Still not working. Same error message as before - cannot connect to
Master Backend Server.

Having gone through the above I notice that now I have a list of
channels in the Backend Setup utility: 6. Channel Editor.

Under 7. Storage Directories I had Default set to /media/Data (a 4 TB
drive). Just now I tried to edit this line, but it says "Enter directory
name or press Select to enter text via the onscreen keyboard." The
onscreen keyboard pops up, but is useless because there is no mouse. I
finally managed to get a cursor in the line and changed it
to /home/jjj/. There are a lot of other things to set directories for:
LiveTV, DB Backups, Videos, Trailers, Coverart, Fanart, Screenshots,
Banners, Streaming, and <Create new group>. I entered nothing in any of
them.

When running mythfilldatabase there are a lot of error messages
"content-type missing in HTTP POST, defaulting to
application-octet-stream." It seems to be trying to get the program
guide for the next several days or weeks.

Bear in mind that I do not watch TV much. And if I do I just turn it on
and find something interesting, usually channel 10-1. It is highly
unlikely that I would ever want to record a program for viewing later.
Nor would I ever want to view TV on any computer other than the one
MythTV is installed on. I wonder if I even need a Master Backend
Server.

Also, the MythTV front end seems to run fullscreen with no titlebar or
buttons to change that, or mouse, for that matter. I dislike this
arrangement. Maybe I don't even want to use the MythTV front end.