[PLUG] Free Cable Modem

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 9 07:55:05 UTC 2013

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 18:57:26 -0800 (PST)
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> dijo:

>On Fri, 8 Nov 2013, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded to a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 Docsis 3.0 modem, so
>> my old Linksys Docsis 2.0 modem is free to a good home. It is model
>> CM100 and has served me well for several years. Google should tell
>> you the rest of the specs on it.
>>
>> My new modem, coupled with a service upgrade, gives me twice the
>> speed. I just downloaded Slackware 14.1 DVD, 2.31 GB, in 6.05
>> minutes, while simultaneously streaming internet radio on another
>> computer.

>With a DOCSIS 3 modem on Comcast's network, you get a /64 IPv6 address
>space.
>
>You might want to check if your workstation has a global IPv6 address.
>If so, make sure you've got some sort of ingress filtering, either at
>your border router or on each host.

My router has a firewall. Otherwise, I don't know why I should be
concerned. I've used computers behind the router for over a decade and
there has never been a problem. My previous router didn't even have a
firewall, and still never a problem.

I am aware of the existence of /64 IPv6 address space, but I know zero
about it. Does this increase security concerns?