[PLUG] replacing versus wiping hard drives for Linux

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Nov 18 20:42:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
> > Someday, that laptop might need warranty service; the windoze hard drive
> > will be needed for that.
>
> Keith,
>
>    For what it's worth, my Dell Latitude has had 2 in-office, warranty
> service calls and the tech could not care less that I had linux installed.
> When he needed root access I gave him a root v.t. Perhaps it depends on
> what's needed, the brand, and whether it's a 'consumer' or 'business'
> model.
>
>    Regardless, installing a replacement drive is an excellent idea. That's
> what I'll do the next time I buy a new portable ... if I remember. :-)
>
> Rich

OEMs don't do their own service calls. A tech from Outsourced Technology
Company X does indeed care nothing for the state of the system they work on
- they just want to get their job done and make their customer happy so
they get good reviews and thus, more work.

This concern is more geared towards times a system must be sent in to the
factory service department for repairs. Those aren't always done in-house
either, but on the off chance they are, it's good to be safe.

-wes