[PLUG] Chrome freeze

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Sat Nov 23 22:03:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> Occasionally Chrome freezes.  Usually I have a few tabs open.  The symptoms
> are that clicking to change tabs, to close a tab, or to pan within a tab
> causes not response--no change visible.  The fix I have found is to go to
> the context menu and choose inspect element.  That immediately seems to
> clear the freeze, and the click which initiated the freeze becomes active.

Do you have any extensions installed?  There are reports that some
extensions (i.e. "Tabs Preview") are known to cause similar behaviour:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/OVXRMZYWSiE/U1vy2eJ20VUJ

There are also recent reports that a GPU VSync flag and/or thread
compositing are known to freeze up parts of the browser:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/cMidVX4EYe8

Have you confirmed that the issue is chrome specific and not related to X
or your window manager?  Can you minimize the chrome window by
left-clicking (if your window manager supports it)?  If you have another
window open, can you switch to that window or perform actions by
left-clicking?  If you switch to another window with a keyboard and then
back, does left-clicking work again?