[PLUG] New computer

Joe Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Wed Nov 27 01:17:35 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-26, 4:22 PM, "John Jason Jordan" <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

>I finally bought a new laptop. This is a Sager resold by Linux reseller
>System76. It is scheduled to arrive in time for the December 15 Clinic,
>where it will get baptized with Xubuntu 12.04.3 Desktop. I told them
>not to bother installing Ubuntu 13.10, but if they do I will just wipe
>it out and replace it with Xubuntu.

Congrats! i’ve owned two Sagers, still on my 2nd (~5 yrs old). Its
predecessor (~10 yrs old) is still running, but probably on its way out.
i’ve been very happy with both of them - they’re real performance monsters
(at one point in time Sagers were the base machines for much of
Alienware’s line), built to be upgradable (i’ve installed many drives &
much RAM) and easy to get without an OS.

My next laptop will be need to be truly portable, which for me means in
the neighborhood of 5 lbs rather than 7-8 + power brick. My only real
complaint about the Sagers is that the fans are a bit noisy (my current
machines’ fans sound exactly the same), but perhaps that’s changed. Enjoy!
Joe Shisei Niski
Portland, Oregon, USA
至誠