[PLUG] Weird network problem

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Mon Oct 21 05:17:22 UTC 2013

Using DHCP to manage your fixed IP addresses is so much better, in multiple
ways.

For one, it provides a central place to manage/track systems and their
addresses across the entire network. No warrying about getting hosts files out
of sync.

But even better, things "just work". I have a laptop for work. When I'm plugged
in at home I have a fixed address (also reflected in my nameserver config). But
I can unplug it and take it to Starbucks, or anywhere else, and it will connect
to and talk on their network without having to make ANY changes.

Ditto if I want to take a desktop system somewhere for troubleshooting.