[PLUG] Crash notices when programs don't crash

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 20:36:03 UTC 2013

When situations like this occur, I run the program from the command
line (terminal) that way you can get a better picture of errors for
apps that send error messages to stdout and not /var/log/messages.

It could be as simple as a lib version mismatch.

Ed

On 10/21/13, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
> I've been using two programs with Ubuntu 12.04 the last few days. Before
> last week I was unable to get them working on 12.04 and had to use a
> second machine running 10.04 to run them while running Libre Office on
> the 12.04 machine. These are the tools I use when transcribing an audio
> file, the Python programs Transcribe and Footpedal.
>
> They appear to work fine for the most part, but once in awhile I get a
> pop up window claiming that one or the other of them has crashed. I
> close that window by clicking on the button that says something to the
> effect of "leave closed." The programs are still running, though. I have
> had the problem of the footpedal program quitting in the middle of a
> session on two occasions. I simply stop the playback using the mouse on
> a button on the transcribe program. Then I double check to make sure
> footpedal has stopped by opening a terminal and running:
>
> ps ax | grep footpedal
>
> On these occasions the programmed had indeed stopped running. I just
> restart it and pick up from where I left off. (The reason I have to
> check is that there is no visible indication that the program is
> running. There is the obvious indication that the machine isn't
> responding to the physical foot pedal, of course.)
>
> As for the transcribe program, I do the same thing, where I close the
> alert window with the "leave closed" button. There is a window open for
> that program, so I can see that it is still running.
>
> So, today's question: While this is a minor annoyance, is it something I
> should be more concerned about? I could report the incident to the
> maintainer of the transcribe program, but it appears that the footpedal
> program has been abandoned.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard C. Steffens

Sent from my mobile device

You! What PLANET is this!
	-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0