[PLUG] I killed my desktop

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sun Oct 27 05:33:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:02:51 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> Having discovered that I could hot-plug the other 320 GB drive I tried
> it with the 1 TB drive. But the result was not what I hoped for. The
> disk light came on and stayed on continuously and Xubuntu did not
> mount the drive. I don't know what this means, and since the drive is
> not visible to Xubuntu, or even the BIOS, there is no way to do
> diagnostics on it. The only thing I can think of to try is to install
> it in another desktop computer with SATA ports to see if it is
> recognized.

Download and install the "iotop" package.  You'll have to run it as
root, but it should tell you what process is hogging the drive.  The
drive is probably bad, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Anyway, hope this helps.

--Dale

--
The attitude of "Oh, you want it should work?  That costs extra!"
is the biggest security hole in computer software today.