[PLUG] T61 laptop repair at the clinic

David Frye dafr+plug at dafr.us
Mon Oct 28 03:38:58 UTC 2013

On 10/27/2013 01:06 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 01:19:26PM -0700, Paul Mullen wrote:
>> If you're interested in making a group project out of it, we could get
>> together and repair our respective laptops side-by-side.  Perhaps in
>> conjunction with one of the monthly PLUG clinics?  Are there any other
>> PLUGgers out there with Thinkpads in disrepair?

I could go for this myself, but it depends on obtaining parts. I'm
trying to be a bit finicky to get quality hinges at this point. If I can
get the parts quick enough, I may jump ahead and do the work on my own,
but if something is set up, I can share my knowledge and experience at a
meetup.

<snip>

> Replacing the hinges involves both the screen and the chassis.  If
> the T61 is like the T60, that involves pulling the keyboard and all
> the bezel plastic.  Look around for new hinges;  ACSparts sometimes
> has items like that.

Yeah, this will be pretty much a complete dis-assembly. I had already
found a manual for a different version of the T61 and seen that. The
correct manual isn't any more descriptive, but I'm relatively handy with
this kind of thing. I just lack some of the tools, but it appears to be
cheaper to buy what I need instead of farming the work out to a third party.

> Sometimes you can find a screensmashed laptop really cheap on
> eBay; good for spare parts.  If someone has connections at Free
> Geek, they could accumulate a months supply of unrepairable T61s
> for us to raid for parts.  In return, we can invite some of their
> grant clients with T61s.

Interesting idea that I hadn't considered... I appreciate that logic.

<snip>

> The main thing is preparation.  Download the hardware maintenance
> manual and read through the disassembly/reassembly stuff.  80% of
> the manual is lists of all the different hardware options, and
> there are many changes over the manufacturing life of a thinkpad.
> Almost none of that matters for what we will work on.  Order the
> parts in advance; we won't find any near Free Geek on a Sunday
> afternoon.
>
> Most folks are afraid of opening their hardware, or disinterested.
> I think it is the only healthy way to own technology, rather than
> having techmology own you.  Real Hackers void warranties.

<snip>

Preparation is a good way to stay out of jams most of the time for most
things, but here especially so. I don't have a lot of experience with
opening up laptops, but always up for a challenge.

dafr