[PLUG] Indoor TV antenna recommendations

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 22:05:13 UTC 2013

I have ordered an HDHomerun to add TV functionality to my Xubuntu
desktop. I will want to watch only over the air broadcasts. According
to tvfool.com (a website that I learned about at the last Clinic) there
are roughly 20 stations approximately 4 miles SSW of my house (about
220 degrees) and the weakest has a power of -47.5 dBm. I assume that
means that I probably don't need cutting edge antenna technology,
however, it would be most convenient to have it indoors and downstairs
in the middle of the house, although putting it in the attic wouldn't
be tremendously difficult.

There are a bewildering number of indoor TV antennas on the market. I
could use some suggestions and advice from real world users - not only
as to makes and models, but also as to how it should be oriented. All I
know about RF is that it is tricky and unpredictable.