[PLUG] Ubuntu 12.04 gvfsd -- bug?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Sep 14 22:09:38 UTC 2013

It took several minutes to move five photos from my SD card in a USB
adapter to a folder on my system. Also, the disk access light is
blinking rapidly. Top says that 45% of the CPU is being used by
gvfsd-metada. A bit of Googling indicates this is because gvfsd (Gnome
Virtual File System daemon) is spending a lot of time working on things.
Back in 2007 someone had a similar problem:

> It looks like your metadata store is got corrupted, leading to an
> infinite loop in the code.
>
> FIX:
> The fix here is to remove the metadata storage, located in:
> ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata.

I tried that the other day. Indeed the disk access light settled down to
normal. But I have the same issue today.

More Googling turned up:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/951585

A search of current bugs took me to:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bugs?orderby=-importance&memo=300&start=300

where I found that it is "Undecided" and "Confirmed" but that's from
last year. Doesn't look like it is getting any attention.

Any recommendations on getting around this, other than periodic deleting
of the file gvfs-metadata? One of the side effects of that is that the
arrangement of things on my desktop changed to something that I assume
is a default layout. While annoying, that's something I could live with.
The extreme delay getting files moved from this machine to other
machines, or devices is more than annoying, though, and I would like a
way around that.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens