[PLUG] Alternatives to Firefox & Thunderbird

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 00:50:22 UTC 2014

On 04/05/2014 06:35 AM, Robert Munro wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 14:31:53 -0700 Russell Senior wrote:
>
>--
>
> I do wish Mozilla would make it easier to directly access local mail
> files in Thunderbird like Evolution does, because it's ridiculous to
> have to run Dovecot merely to pick up chron job output sent to root.
>
> Robert

Robert,

Edit "/etc/mail/aliases" to include

root: $USER

where $USER is a regular username on your box.  Then run "newaliases" to
apply the change.

I will assume the rest of sendmail (and daemon) is set up correctly to
include "localhost" etc. (local-host-names, access, etc and /etc/hosts).

Now create a new Thunderbird mail account but specify "Movemail" with
$USER and $user at localhost. Set the username to $USER and server to
"localhost"

Now, from the $USER command line, do something silly like,

$ echo "test me" | mail -v -s "A Simple Test" root

Open Thunderbird and "get mail".

YMMV, works fine here under Slackware-14.1

-Ed